Breeders Award Program
Breeders Award Program
July 13, 2005
1. To promote the appreciation and spawning of freshwater fish.
2. To recognize achievement in the breeding of freshwater fish in a
3. To share knowledge of freshwater fish care and breeding.
4. To encourage more members to participate in Great Salt Lake Society
leadership and activities.
1. The Great Salt Lake Aquarium Society (GSLAS) Breeders Award Program (BAP) is administered by the Breeders Award Program Committee.
2. The BAP Committee is chaired by the GSLAS Vice President and includes a minimum of two and a maximum of five additional members, as appointed by the GSLAS leadership; president, vice president, and secretary/treasurer. Committee members serve at the discretion of the GSLAS leadership.
3. To be eligible to serve on the BAP Committee an individual must be current in their GSLAS dues. Failure to pay dues will result in an individual’s dismissal from service on the BAP Committee.
4. The GSLAS leadership reserves the right to dismiss a GSLAS member from serving on the BAP Committee for just cause, including but not limited to:
· Non payment of dues
· Not fulfilling BAP Committee duties
· Conduct not deemed appropriate by the GSLAS leadership
· Not Abiding by GSLAS and BAP Committee duties
5. The BAP Committee is responsible to maintain and retain all records,
information, etc. to validate individual Breeder Award Points and
6. Changes/modifications to the BAP Bylaws will be recommended by the BAP
Committee to the GSLAS leadership. All changes or modifications to the BAP
Bylaws must be approved by a majority vote of the GSLAS leadership.
1. Fish bred, and offspring raised must be owned by and in the possession of the person submitting a request for BAP for recognition.
2. Eggs may not be obtained from another source, and then hatched and raised.
3. Breeding pairs may not be borrowed in order to obtain fry, and the purchase of breeding pairs is not allowed for use in the BAP.
4. Person submitting fish for recognition must have a current membership in the Great Salt Lake Aquarium Society.
5. Present a minimum of five healthy offspring between 60 and 120 days old to a general GSLAS meeting. The BAP encourages that the minimum number of offspring be donated to the club for auction at that meeting. Some fish may receive exception to the minimum upon board approval.
6. Breeder award points will be awarded only once to an individual for each species.
7. Species not listed will be awarded points as determined by the BAP committee.
8. The BAP Committee, with approval of GSLAS leadership may change any of the BAP Bylaw administrations, general rules, specie classes etc. to maintain the BAP, or to resolve unforeseen problems.
9. All fish submitted for recognition will be subject to visual inspection of the BAP
10. committee. Any fish found to be unhealthy or defective will not be accepted.
Yearly achievement award:
Each year the person with the most points earned in that year (Aug-July) will be recognized.
A person cannot receive this award for two consecutive years.
Lifetime breeder awards:
Breeder 50 points
Experienced breeder 100 points
Advanced breeder 225 points
Expert breeder 375 points
Master breeder 600 points plus qualifying groups
Grand master breeder 1,100 points plus qualifying groups
Qualifying groups have not yet been established.
Insert Sub Header Here
Breeders Award Program
Class A: 5 points
Livebearers - species in the following genera:
- Lebistes (Poecilia) (guppies/Endler’s livebearer) - all species
- Poecilia (mollies) - all species
- Xiphophorus (platies and swordtails)
Cichlids - species in the following genera:
- Cryptoheros - C. nigrofasciatus (convict cichlid)
- Herotilapia - H. multispinosa (rainbow cichlid)
- Neolamprologus - N. brichardi
Class B: 10 points
Carp-like fishes - species in the following genera:
- Bracyhdanio (zebra, pearl, etc. danios) - all species
- Danio (giant danios) - all species
- Tanichthys (white clouds) - all species
Labyrinth fish - species in the following genera:
- Betta - B. splendens
Cichlids - species in the following genera
- Archocentrus (Cichlasoma) - A. octofasciatus (Jack Dempsey)
- Hemichromis (jewel cichlids)
- Herichthys - H. cyanoguttatum (Texas cichlid)
- Neolamprologus leloupi
- Neolamprologus multifaciatus
- Thorichthys - T. meeki (firemouth)
- Telmatichromis –all species
- Other substrate spawners not listed elsewhere
Killifish- mop spawning killifish not listed elsewhere
Class C: 15 points
Cichlids-species in the following genera:
o Pterophyllum scalare (angelfish)
o Aulonocara and other mouth brooding cichlids not listed elsewhere
o Substrate spawners (including cave and shell) from lake Tanganyika unless listed elsewhere
o Apistogramma not listed elsewhere
o Geophagus not listed elsewhere
Killifish- species in the following genera:
o Nothobranchius-all species
o Lampricthys tanganicanus
Rainbows not listed elsewhere
Class D: 20 points
Cichlids- species in the following genera:
o Neolamprologus: buescheri, ocellatus, similis, speciosus, meleagris
o Eretmodus cyanostictus
o Cichliasoma dovii
o Cyrtocara moorii
o Enantiopus melanogenys
o Apistogramma: agassizi, bitaenia, mcmasteri, viejita
Class E: 25 points
Chichlids-species in the following genera:
o Apistogramma: Gibbiceps, Hoignei, Hongsloi, Iniridae, Nijssenni, Pertensis
o Neolamprologus nigriventris
Class F: 30 points
Cichlids in the following genera:
o Symphysodon discus
o Pterophyllum altum
Class G: 50 points
Fish in this class have not yet spawned in an aquarium without artificial means (hormones). This does not include newly discovered species not yet classified by the BAP Committee.